Established 1992

Kellys Chartered Building Surveyors Bromley

RICS Party Wall Surveyor

Party Wall Matters

Party Wall Matters

Party Wall Matters and the Party Wall etc Act 1996

The Party Wall Etc Act 1996 (click here to view the text of the Party Wall etc Act 1996) regulates the relationship between neighbouring owners in respect of specified types of construction work on or adjacent to the boundary between adjoining properties. The Act places obligations on owners and despite its title is not solely concerned with Party Walls, hence “etc” in the title.

The works may often involve a Party Wall however, in many cases they will not. The obligations placed on owners by the Act include giving neighbours a certain statutory notice of certain works proposed to be carried out.

We have attached a useful explanatory booklet which addresses most of the usually asked questions which can be accessed by clicking here.

Building works covered under the Act include the following:

  1. Work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property (Section 2 of the Act)
  2. Building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property (Section 1 of the Act)
  3. Excavating near a neighbouring building (Section 6 of the Act)

Where neighbours cannot agree between themselves or where there is no written consent the Act sets out the procedure for the resolution of disputes and requires each Party to appoint a Surveyor.

If you are a Building Owner proposing work which may fall under the Party Wall Etc Act 1996 and need a Party Wall Surveyor or are an Adjoining Owner (neighbour) to the Building Owner in need of a Party Wall Surveyor and are about to or have been affected by Party Wall issues we will be able to assist you.

We have built up several years of experience in dealing with Party Wall matters. We act as Party Wall Surveyors for both the Building Owner (owners proposing to undertake building work) and also for Adjoining Owners (neighbours affected by the works) in some cases as defined under the Act we can act as Surveyors for both parties affected by the works.

We have also written an article for the "Times" newspaper concerning the introduction of the Party Wall Etc Act 1996.

Party Wall  The Times Article

As party wall and boundary wall specialists we can offer a professional service to all residential, commercial and industrial owners affected by Party Wall legislation.

Please contact us for FREE Initial advice.